Study & Serve in
Join Students International for a semester of ministry and cultural exploration in the beauty and diversity of Costa Rica. Through a combination of study, service, travel, and lively interaction with local residents, begin to uncover the richness of Costa Rican life.
Earn 16 college credits. Courses are taught by both Costa Rican and U.S. professors.
Meaningful Vocational Ministry
Gain hands-on experience through a practicum at a community ministry site related to your interests. Experienced missionaries from Costa Rica and the U.S. run SI’s ministry sites year-round and are committed to a long-term presence within the community.
- Community & Environmental Health
- Creative Arts Workshop
- Social Services – La Casa Verda
- Social Work – Micro enterprise
Christian Mentoring & Community Life
Live and learn alongside our entire SI-Costa Rica staff through classes, debriefing, Bible studies, family nights, and other community-building events. Staff live minutes away, accompany students on all program-sponsored excursions, and actively disciple and mentor students. Additional support is provided by SI staff and your sending school before, during, and after your semester.
Location, Housing & Food
Most ministry sites are within walking distance from where students stay in carefully-selected host homes. Students usually eat daily breakfast and dinner with host families, a packed lunch, and a community dinner with other program participants about once a week. SI works to accommodate dietary restrictions with advance notice.
On average, the temperatures are always high. The rainy (cool) season is May-November. Daytime temperatures between August-December run in the 70°s-80°s F, with evening temperatures in the 50°s-60°s F. San José has dry periods in January, February and March, and its warmest season is March-April.
A number of excursions are included in the program, allowing students to experience various natural, cultural and historical treasures. Typical excursions include:
- Sarapiquí – discover nature and adventure in the jungle
- Volcán Irazú / Cartago / Orosí Valle – check out a volcano, visit the most important church in Costa Rica, and explore a breathtaking valley
- Nicaragua – experience a new Latin culture, one that is home to the Nicaraguan immigrants that SI works with in its ministry sites
Program dates are January 8 – April 29, 2020. Here is a general breakdown of the semester (weekend excursions not included):
|Arrive in Costa Rica
Orientation & Team building
Intensive Spanish at language school
Language school and other courses
Cross-Cultural Experience (Nicaragua, March 3-11)
Intensive course week
Semana Santa (Spring break, March 24 – April 1)
Ministry sites & Debriefing
*Program schedule, ministry sites, and excursions are subject to change.
See your study abroad advisor or contact Students International for information on cost. In most cases, your financial aid package applies.
- Central Christian College
- Crown College
- Fresno Pacific University
- Northwest University
- The University of Northwestern, St. Paul
Students from other schools may participate through an agreement with Crown College and will receive Crown course credit.
- Visit your study abroad advisor.
- See your academic advisor to discuss how this program compliments your major / minor.
- Contact Students International with any questions using the information listed below. We are happy to set up a time to talk and can even put you in touch with past participants!
Reference our Student Handbook for more information (works best in Chrome browser).