Study & Serve in
Adventure and discovery await you in the fascinating Central American country of Nicaragua. Join Students International for a semester of ministry and cultural exploration through study, service, travel, and lively interaction with local residents.
Earn 15-16 college credits. Courses are taught by both Nicaraguan and U.S. professors.
Meaningful Vocational Ministry
Gain hands-on experience through an internship at a community ministry site related to your interests. Seasoned missionaries from Nicaragua and the U.S. run SI’s ministry sites year-round and are committed to a long-term presence within the community.
- Appropriate Technology
- Health Care
- Social Work – Women’s Social Work
- Sports – Boys Club
Christian Mentoring & Community Life
Live and learn alongside our entire SI-Nicargua staff through classes, debriefing, Bible studies, family nights, and other community-building events. Staff live minutes away, accompany students on all program-sponsored excursions, and actively disciple and mentor students. Additional support is provided by SI staff and your sending school before, during, and after your semester.
Location, Housing & Food
Most ministry sites are within a short drive from where students stay in carefully-selected host homes, with a few sites encompassing surrounding villages as well. Students usually eat daily breakfast and dinner with host families, a packed lunch, and a community dinner with other program participants about once a week. SI works to accommodate dietary restrictions with advance notice.
Typically, the temperatures in Masaya are always high. The rainy (cool) season is May-October. Daytime temperatures between August-December run in the 80°s F, with evening temperatures in the 70°s F. Expect heavy downpours leading to muddy streets and a lush, green landscape. Masaya has a dry period December-April. Temperatures soar into the 90°s F and the landscape becomes dry and dusty.
A number of excursions are included in the program, allowing students to experience various natural, cultural and historical treasures. Typical excursions include:
- Parque Nacional Volcán Masaya – Hike in this national park featuring an active volcano.
- Fort Coyotepe – Tour a historic political fort on a hill overlooking Masaya.
- Granada – Explore the historic Spanish-colonial city and tour islands by boat in nearby Lago Nicaragua.
- San Juan de Oriente – View artisans at work in this hilly cobblestoned town.
- San Juan del Sur – Unwind for a beach weekend along the Pacific coast.
- Managua – Check out the capital’s museums (Loma de Tiscapa, National Palace) and adventure options (ziplining!).
- Costa Rica – Cross the southern border into Costa Rica and work with Nicaraguan immigrants at SI ministry sites on the outskirts of capital San José.
2018 Program dates are August 27 – December 5 in Nicaragua (August 25 – December 7 including orientation and debriefing at Greenville University). Here is a general breakdown of the semester (weekend excursions not included):
|Orientation at Greenville University, IL
Arrive in Nicaragua
Orientation & Team building
Intensive Spanish at language school
Intensive course week
Intensive Spanish at language school
Cross-Cultural Experience (Costa Rica, Oct 6-11)
Return to Greenville University
Debriefing at Greenville University
*Program schedule, ministry sites, and excursions are subject to change.
See your study abroad advisor or contact Students International for information on cost. In most cases, your financial aid package applies.
SI partners with the following schools to offer this semester program:
- Crown College
- Greenville University
Students from other schools may participate through an agreement with Crown College and will receive Crown course credit.
- Apply – an application link will be available from this site beginning in January 2017.
- Visit your study abroad advisor.
- See your academic advisor to discuss how this program compliments your major / minor.
- Contact Students International with any questions using the information listed below. We are happy to set up a time to talk and can even put you in touch with past participants!